Business Unit Description:
Michael Foods, Inc. is a leader in the food processing and distribution industry with business in egg products, refrigerated grocery and potato products. We offer exciting job possibilities throughout our organization where you can enhance your career, sharpen your talents and make an impact. Join our company and be part of an innovative team that's First in Food.
Location Description: Michael Foods, Inc. located in Mars Hill, Maine. Pineland Farms is one of the largest food manufacturing organizations located in Aroostook County. Our Mars Hill facility has over 200 incredible team members who work together to provide our customers with the best possible potato product. Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the Chief Operating Engineer is responsible for the effective and efficient operation of boiler equipment and systems. This position has the responsibility to comply with Safety work rules at all times as well as an obligation to reinforce Safety as a Core Value.
- Perform all responsibilities in accordance with company Standard Operating Procedures, practices, and safety rules as well as appropriate industry and regulatory guidelines, rules, and regulations.
- Also responsible for responding to chemical leaks/spills; will be on the plant Emergency Response Team.
- Communicate with the equipment manufacturers/vendors on any problems and follow-up on getting the right parts needed to correct the problems
- Must work with various chemicals, solvents, paints, fuels and lubricants.
- Assures that the entire system is operated in a safe manner and that all components of the system are in compliance with OSHA and other agencies.
- Comply to and monitor operation for compliance with all 14 elements of the "Process Safety Management Program".
- Perform preventive maintenance in accordance with approved maintenance plans and work orders using SAP.
- Operate facility fire monitoring system. Read and understand equipment and system drawings.
- Demonstrates ability to manipulate valves and pumps to get water to the boiler from more than one source (Well or City water) and maintain and/or monitor Wastewater treatment system.
- Maintains, adjusts, and repairs utility systems and facility support equipment controls in assigned areas of responsibility. Performs routine boiler water analysis and maintenance as required.
- Monitor and maintain plant steam production, and the plant compressed air system.
- Document all maintenance and inspection activity.
- Operate and maintain all engine room and other equipment including boilers, pumps, compressors, condensers, and electrical systems. Help develop and follow established standard operating procedures for safety, health, environment, and production.
- Adhere to safe work practices, complete monthly safety audits/observations, follow GMP's, maintain sanitary conditions and ensure that product quality is maintained. Report to management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety, food quality or personnel safety.
- Responsible for initiatives in the following areas: Cost Reduction and Mechanical Downtime reduction.
- Assists in the coordination of activities in the Department
- Requires active participation in Emergency Response Team.
- Consult with Management on issues on boiler equipment and systems
- Lend knowledge and ideas to the solution of problems involving the plant boiler and steam system.
- Train new hires and existing employees as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, REGISTRATIONS:
- 2-year degree in Electrical/HVAC Ammonia and/or Building Maintenance preferred.
- Chief Boiler License.
- Electrical license preferred.
- Ability to become HAZWOPER certified.
- Boiler, HVAC, and HAZMAT training will be REQUIRED.