WithersRavenel is looking for people who are passionate about collaboration, community, and client success. Your reward for sharing your talent with us? OWNERSHIP. As a 100% employee-owned company, every employee is an owner-which adds a powerful and unique dimension to our vibrant company culture and purposeful work. Our employee owners say they love a lot of things about WithersRavenel, but the things most often cited are: our amazing people and team-first atmosphere, our flexible/hybrid work environment, our focus on their professional development and growth, and our commitment to the communities in which we work and live.
Bring your talent and collaborative spirit and join our team of employee owners at WithersRavenel!
We have an opening for an Engineer in Training (Staff Professional II or III) on our Utilities Team in our Asheville, Cary, Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh Offices.
Staff Professional III's are registered professionals that lead, and support assigned engineers and/or other technical positions on a project level in the Utilities Department. They are responsible for their designs and associated deliverables. All employees are expected to follow our Company and Department processes, procedures, and standards and adhere to our Company culture and core values which includes contributing towards a positive working environment for their Teams.
Duties And Responsibilities
Project and Client Management
- Assist Project Managers (PMs) and Assistant PMs in the budget and schedule management of the technical aspects of projects
- Participate in project meetings and create subsequent documentation
- Assist in communications with clients per PM direction
- Communicate with PMs and Assistant PMs regularly and proactively about project and technical details; communicate any significant technical challenge, deviation from procedures and metrics, or incidents that occurs on projects
- Review data, analyze information, and determine compliance with standards and design concepts
- Lead the creation of preliminary and completed layouts, design concepts, and detailed design drawings, ensuring they meet our company and industry standards and codes
- Research and obtain standards/codes required by client and jurisdiction coordinating with Project Management and technical staff as necessary to accurately and efficiently develop plans
- Exercise judgement on details of work and technical concepts and theoretical design and apply to real world situations
- Provide and review work by technical staff that relates to work under the Professional's Responsible Charge
- Calculate and prepare planning and design documents and reports
- Work with PM's and technical staff to create and administrate the technical scope of work, schedule, and budget
- Complete deliverables and project responsibilities within scope, budget, and schedule, reviewing drawings for completeness and accuracy
- Organize and maintain all revisions of project-related information per our Company policies and procedures
- Utilize various applications to generate drawings, reports, or other technical based deliverables based on specific project requirements
- Initiate quality control processes and follow technical aspects and policies of the Department and Company
- Analyze technical problems; devise new or improved techniques, approaches, and alternative solutions; and communicate those to supervisor for approval and implementation
- Utilize and promote company's current technology as much as practicable to design projects
- Participate in scheduled Team meetings and project meetings
Client and Business Development
- Participate in civic and community events
- Seek opportunities for cross-selling to enhance and expand our existing client relationships during and after projects
- Assist in the creation of technical expertise information for Marketing purposes
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent field
- Registration as a Professional in the appropriate field of expertise (ex. EI/EIT) or ability to obtain this registration within 6 months
- 1-6 years of related experience in field of specialty
- Experience in AutoCAD Civil3D and Microsoft Office applications
- Self-motivated, engaged, and team-oriented with the ability to work independently
- Execute multiple tasks under tight deadlines and prioritize responsibilities
- Understand planning and/or design concepts and methods
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to mentor technical staff
- Demonstrate personal investment in your career
- Energetic, flexible, confident, and forward thinking
The assignment will require occasional evening and weekend work, infrequent job site visits outdoors, and working in collaborative, fast-paced, and client-driven environment.
The assignment may occasionally require repetitive physical tasks (such as operating a computer), standing and/or sitting for extended periods of time, extended time travelling in a vehicle, and carrying equipment and materials up to 25 pounds.
WithersRavenel is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, military service, or other non-merit factors protected by federal, state, or local laws. At WithersRavenel, we strive to build and nurture a culture where diversity, inclusivity, and belonging are a normal part of doing business, not an initiative. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. By hiring highly talented people who align with our Core Values, we continue to enrich and broaden our ownership community, as well as the employee and client experience. This purposeful approach to diversity and inclusion leads to greater commitment, collaboration, and effectiveness in our culture, work, and lives.