Senior Transmission Line Design Engineer
Located in Spencer, IN.
Permanent direct hire
The overall average breakdown of work for this position is:
60% remote, 40% in office or field.
- This breakdown is not guaranteed on a weekly basis, but is estimation of the aggregate effort required to perform the job duties. It is expected that the selected candidate will report to their home office (in this case Spencer, IN), minimally one day per week. Candidate should have a Broad knowledge of transmission line design for 69, 138, 161 and 345 kV levels.
- Assures the proper design and specifications of assigned transmission line projects to include compliance with our project management structure, NERC/RRO and other industry standards and successful mitigation of permitting, environmental and other constraining issues. Ensures communication and collaboration within and between departments. Reports to:
- Manager, Power System Design
- Field Personnel, Contractors
- Prepares designs, specifications and right-of-way/easement clearances of assigned transmission line projects in accordance with our project management structure, NERC/RRO and other industry standards and successful mitigation of permitting, environmental and other constraining issues.
- Oversees the design of assigned transmission line projects where the work is performed under the direct supervision of an outside consultant or contractor. Assists in the flow of design information or requirements among and between manufactures, field erection representatives, survey contractors and land agents. Provides leadership and guidance to engineering technicians; instructs engineering technicians or transmission personnel in the procedures and practices of transmission line design; provides professional expertise in order to resolve unusual or emergency problems.
- Facilitates internal and external collaboration by maintaining effective channels of communication with other departments and divisions, as well as with member systems and interconnected utilities. Provides the appropriate detail and supporting documentation associated with the design of transmission line projects.
- Ensures that each design assignment incorporates facilities and equipment that are designed and can be operated in accordance with required standard of safety, NERC/RRO compliance requirements and in accordance with RUS-approved standards and sound engineering practices.
- Stays abreast of transmission line design techniques and technologies, and researches and develops innovations, alternatives and/or expansions of the same, with emphasis on logistics, economy and service. Makes suggestions to the Manager, Power System Design about any polices, practices or procedures.
- Analyzes issues resulting in reduced system reliability and capacity, increased costs and risk to identify needed projects and studies related to assigned area of expertise. Develops alternatives that meet project objectives and utilize sound engineering methods to demonstrate project feasibility.
- Recommends changes that will lead to improvements in key performance indicators based on analysis of incidents that have impacted performance. Utilizes knowledge and experience gained in assigned area of expertise to assist others with solution development. Determines appropriate balance between predictive and corrective activities.
- Coordinates plans, schedules and estimates with the Project Management Office
- Works with Bargaining Unit Personnel to provide and exchange design criteria
- Exchanges information with other departments and divisions as needed
- Works with consultants and contractors to develop and implement projects, monitor projects and exchange information
Education Min/Preferred: Minimum 4 Year / Bachelors in Electrical, Civil or Mechanical Engineering or Degree equivalent
Preferred Graduate Degree in Business Management, Electrical, Civil or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
Preferred Other Ability to obtain P.E. license is desirable
8 years' of experience progressively more technical responsibility in the design of transmission line facilities and equipment Other levels of experience may be considered